If you have had some experience of car insurance, the basic principles of motorhome insurance should be very familiar to you.

There are though, some specific issues relating to motorhome cover that you should take note of below.

The basics

By law, you must have at least third-party liability insurance when driving your motorhome on the road.  In fact, the law today also requires you to have such insurance in place even if your vehicle is parked up off the road unless you have completed the established statutory off road notification (SORN) procedure with the DVLA.

Third-party cover means, essentially, that if anyone claims against you for damages or injuries arising as a result of your motorhome, there will be funds available to meet any court awards accordingly.

However, given the typically high value of most motorhomes, owners will usually also require cover for things such as the theft of the vehicle, fire damage to it or perhaps its serious damage in an accident.  That additional form of cover is often added to the basic third-party protection on offer, to form something in total called fully comprehensive insurance.

Motorhome specifics

While the same basic principles hold true, your motorhome is not a car.  It has significant differences to a car or even a van used for carrying goods, largely in terms of its typically expensive coachwork and potentially high level of interior equipment.

Many motorhome owners might also have many of their own personal possessions with them when they are out and about on the road.

This introduces the concept of needing to consider your motorhome in part, like a form of accommodation and your own residential property.  In other words, it might be advisable to ensure that your policy covers the types of items you may wish to take with you or have installed inside.

It’s also worth being careful to think about the type of replacement cover you might need for those internal possessions.  Some policies might offer replacement at market valuation only whereas others may consider offering new-for-old.

Note also that policies covering internal fixtures and fittings plus any possessions you may have with you might also put limitations on certain types of item that can be left in your motorhome when you are not present yourself.

Given the high value of motorhomes, it is not unusual to see policies also demanding that you have fitted full GPS tracking devices to your vehicle.

Overall, it’s important to think carefully about your cover and to take advice if you really are a beginner in this area.  Here at Derby Motorhomes, we will be only too pleased to discuss any of these subjects with you further.

GAP insurance

It’s also appropriate to mention specifically the subject of GAP cover.

If your vehicle was the subject of a total write off, policies will typically only pay out to the maximum of the vehicle’s depreciated value at that time.  Depending upon the age and type of vehicle concerned, it’s possible that you may end up receiving less from your insurance policy than you in fact still owe in repayments against the vehicle.

GAP cover is a type of policy specifically aimed at bridging between these two figures.

Other insurance

Also, there are other covers that may be worth considering, like motorhome warranty, travel and health insurance, and, motorhome breakdown insurance.

Insurance conditions

As a final reminder, do please look carefully at the conditions contained within your policy.

Contrary to some mythology, they do not exist to give your insurance provider wriggle room. In fact, they are there to make clear to the policyholder what they are getting for their money and the conditions they must comply with if cover is to be maintained.

It is therefore unwise to ignore them or dismiss them as merely red tape.

To learn more, as mentioned above, why not contact us for a discussion?  We’re standing by waiting to help.