According to a standard dictionary definition, accessories are pieces of equipment that are not typically essential but nevertheless add a certain something “to make an item more efficient, useful, or decorative”.
How fitting we have found that definition when it comes to adding value to your motorhome. It helps to explain the demand we have experienced out there for good motorhome accessories. Well-chosen accessories not only make life easier in your motorhome but may also enhance its residual value when it’s time for the vehicle to be sold.
Here at Derby Motorhomes, many of the motorhomes we supply come ready-fitted with a range of optional accessories. You can also take advantage of our motorhome retrofitting service.
There are also thousands of leisure-related products – which you can buy either online or offline. Let’s take a look at just some of them.
Alarms and tracking systems
Intruder alarms, smoke detectors, and vehicle tracking systems are all the kind of devices that may help to maintain the security of your motorhome – not only giving you peace of mind but also helping to keep the lid on your motorhome insurance premiums. Remember to mention when your motorhome insurance policy is due to renew that you have had any alarms and tracking systems fitted by professionals.
Entertainment and media packs have become really popular. We fit leading in-vehicle entertainment packs from Avtex – such as the Vision Plus TV, an integrated touch-screen media console, DAB radio, and satellite navigation.
Just as with your home entertainment systems, the ability to switch on a good TV to brighten those dull, rainy days can prove a godsend. Whether it is a question of keeping the children entertained or not missing your favourite soap programme, good entertainment packages delivered straight to your motorhome.
It’s easy to see why motorhome accessories have become such big business. It’s not just a question of having the right media packs. Better cab entertainment – with DVD players and digital radios – are readily available upgrade solutions.
There is nothing better than having a good media pack in place. Ask us for more details about USB sockets and Bluetooth equipment we can install in your motorhome.
Keeping the sparkle
When it comes to motorhome cleaning products, you’ll need to look further than just a good wax polish. Specialist treatments and body protection prove to be equally popular and beneficial products.
Through the use of top-quality services from Paintseal Direct, we can arrange for your motorhome to be done professionally with this body protection application. Rather than waiting until the motorhome starts to look a little tired and worn in appearance, some people look to protect the vehicle by having a specialist treatment done while it is still brand new. A second-hand motorhome will also look a million dollars with a Paintseal treatment.
While keeping your motorhome clean on the outside may be a challenge, keeping it clean on the inside could be yet another matter.
You can also invest in treatments designed to seal and keep clean all the surfaces on the inside of your motorhome too. So, when the red wine gets spilt on the sofa, just wipe it with a clean cloth – and the job is done.
Seal and protect treatments such as these are proving especially popular, and you can book in your motorhome for the application to be done here at our workshops in Derby or we are equally pleased to come out to your home address.
Safety products – like improved, colour reversing cameras, high-visibility jackets and warning triangles – are all available. And when it comes to gas and electricity, of course, safety is still more of a priority.
There are some good warning accessories, to ensure your safety when using your motorhome. From smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to safety cut-off gas supplies, we can help.
Of course, tyres wear out – and they do not always do so evenly – so, checking the tread wear is important.
Remember that whenever your motorhome has been in storage for any length of time the tyres are likely to have become flat. When did you last check those pressures? Many new motorhomes have a simple device called a tyre pressure warning indicator to alert you to potential danger.
The fun in owning a motorhome is that there is almost always one accessory or another that might make your next outing or expedition that much more comfortable. Here are just a few suggestions on some of the accessories our customers often ask us about:
Batteries and solar panels
- solar power takes some of the strain off your motorhome’s batteries and many fit unobtrusively on the roof of the vehicle – for an eco-friendly and money-saving use of solar energy;
- nevertheless, an extra leisure battery may often come in handy to give things a boost – in colder, rainy, or more overcast conditions, for example;
- we use Hankook batteries for both leisure and regular-use batteries – so, if you have charging issues, let us know and we will suggest ways to help and advise you what to do;
- awnings can make a huge difference to the amount of usable space you have to live in – and dare we say it, they might also give you a little bit of extra cover should a bit of drizzle threaten to mar that otherwise perfect day;
- they come in all shapes and sizes and range from the quite simple and modestly priced right up to sophisticated power-driven and luxury versions;
- make sure that your motorhome insurance covers awnings when in use;
- yes, we might all like to kid ourselves that we can do without a smartphone and any amount of electronic gadgetry while we’re out and about – and we might sincerely believe that we were going to spend all day reading books, hiking, and engaging in healthy pursuits;
- the reality, of course, is often a little bit different – and that’s when Wi-Fi extenders can make the difference between your technology failing to cope or delivering you an acceptable service;
- in recent years, the costs have typically become even more modest for these great motorhome accessories;
Fold up furniture
- once you reach a certain age, sitting on the grass on a blanket all the time often loses its appeal;
- equally, those rickety old deckchairs – probably once owned by your grandparents – might no longer be practical or stylish (even if they are now regarded as desirable collectables in some circles);
- there is now a really vast choice of fold-up, comfortable, and infinitely practical portable furniture, so, if you haven’t done so recently, check it out online and you’ll be amazed – it might add hugely to your comfort when sitting outside your motorhome;
First aid kit
- this item is probably better headed under “essential equipment” but we’ve included it here out of an abundance of caution and for the sake of completeness;
- minor accidents and injuries may be little more than an inconvenience when they are quickly and easily treated with a decent first aid kit;
- but if you have no disinfectant, plasters, bandages, or the like you may be making an avoidable detour to the medical centre for a basic patch-up;
- make sure that your first aid kit is within its use-by date.
Happy to help you
Over the past few years, we have worked hard to make sure that we supply quality products and, whenever the need arises, the after-sales service to go with it. It all helps to give our customers a reassuring peace of mind when they buy any accessories for their motorhome.
Don’t forget if you are a member of the Auto-Sleeper Owners’ Club (ASOC), you will receive a 10% discount on the prices of our accessories. Just show us your valid membership card details to get the work started.
So, just get in touch with our after-sales staff on 01332 360222 – they will be more than happy to help you. We fit most motorhome accessories and can help recommend what and why we use the makes and brands that we do.
Further reading: Useful motorhome gadgets
Request a service or repair
Simply tell us when you want the work done and we will get straight back to you to confirm a mutually convenient time and date.